Friday, February 22, 2008

Feast Today, for Tomorrow We Fast

Today is the day before I begin my fast, my day of preparation. My plan, after class, work, and a practice Truman panel interview, is to head for the grocery store to buy juice, and begin freezing perishables left in our house. I don’t know for sure if everyone in the house will be fasting yet, but since two of them are regularly not home, I feel fairly safe in freezing things that haven’t been used yet, as I feel they can probably use a microwave. Perhaps it will also cut down on the pile of mess that seems to accrete and foment in our kitchen. I may have to get creative when I get to things like spinach and peaches; perhaps some good old-fashioned canning?

As a baseline today, I feel good. I had my standard breakfast of a piece of whole-grain vegan toast and an excess of delicious Skippy Superchunk peanut butter. I am hoping to find someone to steal lunch from, but failing that, today will be a preparatory low-calorie day, as all I have in my bag is a bottle of apple juice and some increasingly un-vegetable-like celery sticks. I think the only listlessness I feel is caused by a lack of sleep, which I’m hoping to remedy by sleeping tomorrow until I cannot humanly sleep anymore.

I still haven’t decided when I will actually begin to fast, because although tonight’s Shabbat dinner would make a delicious last meal, I don’t know that I’m quite ready to commit yet. And falafel would be a rather impressively smelly last thing to have in my stomach.

No comments: