Monday, June 12, 2006

a date

It is still June 11 here in Hawaii. It's interesting to think that this is one of the last populated places where today is still today. There are not that many people in the world to whom that fact is interesting, but at the moment it strikes me as such.

In apparently unrelated news, the downtown Hilo glassblower has packed up and left shop. I am sad about this. He used to sell a variety of things, over-priced kitschy glass turtles and crap for tourists, and really awesome original jewelry, and I am told some very interesting pipes in his back room. Oddly enough it was this last item that I was searching for last time I went by his shop while I was at the farmer's market, only to find it is closed up and devoid of tiny glass hibiscuses (hibisci?). I was hoping to send souvenirs to some of my pothead friends, sort of by way of saying, I love you, thanks for being friends with me even though I'm not a stoner. So, sad day, I will have to keep hunting. With the number of hippies in Hilo, I'm sure I can find someone.

Speaking of friends, my parents, in their infinite parental wisdom, have noticed my off-kilter mood. Since "I'm fine" was getting me nowhere, I confessed to what I termed "homesickness." Despite the fact that, theoretically, I am at home. But I miss my friends, my social life, my reason to stay up past 10 PM. My mother began talking about how this was a poignant moment, that Mommy and Daddy weren't enough for me anymore, but that this was normal, a good thing, a sign that I am an adult. I spared her the news that Mommy and Daddy hadn't been enough for awhile and retreated to my bedroom to get dressed. I'm glad she thinks this is adulthood, since I feel like a whiny adolescent.

In fitting segue, I'm off to read the teen magazines that have been sitting on my bureau since I last came home. This way, I can find out such vital information as 10 MORE REASONS TO LOVE ORLANDO BLOOM! and Secret Signs He's In Love With You (I assume a generic "He" and not Orlando Bloom.).

Perhaps I will learn something important.
Or at least useful.
Or, not.

No comments: