Saturday, June 17, 2006

from time to time

I am not what one would call a misanthrope. I generally find people enjoyable and worthwhile, and even when annoying, forgiveable. I am quick to come up with reasons for another's behavior and remember times when I have behaved similarly and thus excuse their actions, childish or rude as they may be.

Today, however, people were just being assholes. I have learned several things today.
1) I never want to run a business where I require employees and my profit margin determines my happiness or my ability to live day to day. I don't want to be the type of person who is willing to be a dick to better her profit margin and assumes that her employees are lazy or otherwise working against her. I learned this from dealing with my manager, Paul. He imagines himself to be an agreeable fellow; he is wrong. He is not horrible, he just needs to learn that shouting is not the best means of garnering quality work from most employees.

2) I don't want children. A moment of childlike delight and cuteness are blotted out by an insatiable preference for ice cream based upon its brightness of color, by whining, by the unmistakable signs of spoiling or more generic bad parenting.

3) If I am in any permanent sort of relationship with someone and he or she acts like an enormous asshole to service employees, he or she is going to be first gently corrected, and failing an apology and immediate amelioration, bitchslapped across the room. Anyone who thinks that another person is paid to take shit from them needs to have an ice pick lodged in his or her left ass cheek, be bound, gagged, and shipped to a third world country to eat maggots off the bodies of dead animals.

Not that I am feeling frustrated by my job or anything.

I did receive a letter in the mail today. I love the postal service (not the band, the actual government corporation). I love post offices and mailboxes and stamps and letters. Writing them, sending them, reading them.

So, send me your address. I'll write you a letter. Let's be penpals.

No comments: