Monday, May 29, 2006

edible is not equal to reedible

So it is my opinion that no person should be required to contract an influenza virus more than once every two years or so, once a year if for some reason fate decrees it. My relationship with fate must be particularly bad; this is my second flu in almost exactly five weeks. Friday evening, when I belatedly celebrated my birthday with my parents, over Pizza Hut's tasty (meat-free) pizza and my mother's deliciously home made chocolate cream pie, I began to feel a sore throat, which turned into a sore all-over-my-body, which about four Saturday morning turned into vomiting. For those of you who are connoisseurs of vomit, cancer patients and the like, note: if you think you may be going to retaste it, do not eat bell peppers. They do not improve the second time around.

Thus I explain my failure as a nightly blogger. The other parts of my Friday were fairly good. I spent much of the day wandering around Hilo, prostrating myself before anyone who might hire me, and then returned home to be turned away at the door because my mother was wrapping presents. That's okay, I've been turned away at the door because they were having sex; this reason was more beneficial to me. Anyway, I had my dad bring me a bottle of water and went to Kolekole. The surf was up, and I thought of my surfer friends. There were some high school kids who had the day off and were cooking something that smelled marvelous on a bonfire, and I wished both that I ate meat and that I weren't still vaguely afraid of locals. I installed myself among some slightly damp (as everything in Hamakua) tree trunks and read Isabel Allende's latest, Zorro, smelling the smells and watching the waves crash upon the rocks, and listening to the cars trundling across the bridge overhead, hoping it was sturdier than it sounded.

Then I drove home, ate pizza, peppers, and pie, and about nine hours later threw them up. I spent most of Saturday in bed, but I took it as a good sign that by evening food sounded like a good idea.

I had pie for lunch today. I didn't throw it up.

No comments: