Tuesday, May 30, 2006

three pairs of sandals for my birthday

South Africa, here I come, unemployed or not. I have had no job offers as yet, and I am declaring myself going to South Africa anyway, if I have to beg, borrow, or, well give up Christmas presents. Actually, that's not quite true. No, I am giving up Christmas presents, but I have had some interesting quasi-job offers. I have an interview on D-Day to sell shoes at Macy's. What better place to employ a person with a shoe fetish? I have an offer from a fellow I could swear was Hilo stock except that he's a transplant from East Oakland, to clean rooms at the Wild Ginger Inn in Hilo (not its finest tourist accommodations), beginning June 28th, if I haven't found anything else by then. He says, however, ("Not to be racist or sexist or anything...") that I am too pretty to be a maid. I think that's a compliment. I may also be painting some things. This is the most solid offer yet.

So just to clarify for you, in order to have the opportunity to help feed the hungry, heal the sick, and free the oppressed half way around the world, I am going to be spending a summer either doing manual labor or selling shoes to tourists. I really am not sure which would be more ironic at this point.

I really hope I get a call from Borders. A book fetish is so much more respectable than a shoe fetish.

No comments: